Immigrant Investors
Helping Clients Through the Immigrant Investor Program

EB-5 Immigrant Investors

E-1 Treaty Traders
E-2 Treaty Investor

Global Immigration Legal Services

Please consult an attorney for advice about your individual situation. This site and its information is not legal advice, nor is it intended to be. Feel free to get in touch by electronic mail, letters or phone calls. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Until an attorney-client relationship is established, please withhold from sending any confidential information.

E-1 Treaty Traders

The E-1 nonimmigrant classification allows a national of a treaty country (a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation) to be admitted to the United States solely to engage in international trade on his or her own behalf.  Certain employees of such a person or of a qualifying organization may also be eligible for this classification.

To qualify for E-1 classification, the treaty trader must:

  • Be a national of a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation
  • Carry on substantial trade which generally refers to the continuous flow of sizable international trade items, involving numerous transactions over time.
  • Carry on principal trade between the United States and the treaty country which qualified the treaty trader for E-1 classification (when over 50% of the total volume of international trade is between the U.S. and the trader’s treaty country).

Under most circumstances, E-1 visas are granted for two years. However, this visa may be extended for additional two year periods assuming that the substantial business and trade is viable and ongoing in the United States.

Family Members

The spouse and unmarried children who are under 21 years of age may apply to accompany or follow the E-1 visa holder.  Their nationalities need not be the same as the treaty trader or employee.  Spouses of E-1 workers may apply for employment and if approved, there is no specific restriction as to where the E-1 spouse may work. Additionally, approved dependents of E-1 visa holders may attend educational institutions within the United States.

Current Treaty Countries (Department of State)